IELTS Listening Test
On this page you will learn what the IELTS Listening test is and how to best prepare for achieving a high score.
Note! IELTS Listening test is the same for both Academic and General Training module.
We have provided you with:
IELTS Listening test format
IELTS Listening test is designed to assess your listening skills in various contexts.
Here is a short overview of the listening test format:
|IELTS Listening Test|
|Number of Questions||40 questions|
|Format||You will listen to 4 different recordings and write your answers as you listen.|
|Duration||IELTS Listening test takes 30 minutes after which you will be given extra 10 minutes to transfer your answers to your answer sheet. So, it takes 40 minutes in total.|
If you want to see more detailed overview of the IELTS Test Format, visit the British Council website.
How to prepare for IELTS Listening test?
If you desire a high band score, then reading our IELTS Listening Tips & Advice might be helpful!
But first and foremost, let's focus on the essential steps we recommend you take in order to get started with IELTS listening:
- Obtain good practice materials
- For instance, get yourself a book of Cambridge IELTS series that usually has 4 practice tests in a book
- Flick through the book and see what's there. These books will give you a very good idea about how the real exam looks like
- Or why not take a free IELTS Listening test (provided by IELTS.org) that we have prepared for you
- Use an answer sheet
- Make yourself familiar with the IELTS listening test format
- There are 4 recordings
- 30 minutes (plus 10 minutes transfer time)
- Sections get increasingly difficult
- Take the first practice test
- Start practice with the first test without limiting your time to 30 minutes
- Feel free to pause or rewind back and forth