IELTS General Writing Task 1: Complaint Letter
IELTS Complaint Letter is a formal or semi-formal type of letter where you are given a situation that you wish to be resolved in some way.
Complaint letters are used to raise your concerns about unfair things, such as bad service, faulty goods, problems with people and to seek a productive outcome.
Here is an example how the task may look like:
WRITING TASK 1 (General)
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
You have had a problem with your next-door neighbour. You have not been able to speak to your neighbour about this. Write a letter to this neighbour. In your letter:
- Explain the problem
- Suggest a solution
- Say what action you will take if the situation does not improve
Write at least 150 words.
You do NOT need to write any addresses.
Begin your letter as follows:
Dear ... ,
Note! You will find the IELTS Complaint Letter Sample with grammar corrections and estimated band score down below.
IELTS Complaint Letter Structure & Vocabulary
1Dear Sir/Madam, (or name if given)
2Explanation: 1-2 sentences what you are complaining about
3Explain in more detail
4What action you want the person or company to take / What would you like them to do, what will you do?
5Formal ending, name, signature
Learn by playing!
Learning should be fun, right? For that reason we have created a little game in order to help you learn good vocabulary and phrases for writing complaint letters.
There are 15 questions in total and the questions are in random order. Give it a try and test your knowledge. Just click the answer!
- misleading information
- I would like to complain about the poor quality of service I recently received from your company.
- I wish to make a complaint regarding your inefficient staff. (level of service)
- I am writing to complain about the poor train service your company provided from the 5th to the 12th of November. / ... and I missed my plane as a result.
- I am writing to you about the party ... . I have number of complaints. I hope you will agree that it was a very disappointing evening.
- The problems do not stop here. / ... / Furthermore, ...
- To begin with ... / In addition to this, ... / Added to this, there was no ...
- ... was not worth the money I paid for it.
- Having paid a lot of money for the ... , I found this extremely frustrating
- In your ... you promised a pleasant ... . This was definitely not my experience.
- However, I would like to point out that ...
- I feel I am entitled to a partial refund in addition to an apology for the inconvenience caused.
- Furthermore, you will find a bill on the value of ... . I expect it to be compensated as well.
- I would appreciate if you could look into the matter asap.