IELTS General Writing Task 1: Job Application Letter
IELTS Job Application Letter is a formal or semi-formal type of letter. There are usually 3 tasks you have to address in the letter.
Here is an example how the task may look like:
WRITING TASK 1 (General)
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
During a recent plane journey, you sat next to a businessman who owns a chain of restaurants. You talked to him and he suggested that you should contact him about a possible job in one of his restaurants.
Write a letter to this businessman. In your letter
- remind him when and where you met
- tell him what kind of job you are interested in
- say why you think you would be suitable for the job
Write at least 150 words.
You do NOT need to write any addresses.
Begin your letter as follows:
Dear ... ,
Note! You will find the IELTS Job Application Letter Sample with grammar corrections and estimated band score down below.
IELTS Job Application Letter Structure & Vocabulary
We have prepared a job application letter structure with common phrases for you to help you compose the letter and ensure you use the right tone.
JOB APPLICATION LETTER
1Dear Sir/Madam, (or name if given)
2Position – where advertised, when?
3Skills, diplomas, experience, personality
4Why are you interested? Motivation, interview, references
5Formal ending, name, signature
- Dear Sir/Madam, (or name if given)
- Position – where advertised, when?
- I would like to apply for the position of … advertised in "Times" of January 19th, 2022 / "The Wings" issue of December 2021.
- I am writing with regard to your advertisement published in January's "Metro" / in yesterday's "Times".
- I am writing to you to express interest in the ... position as advertised on Careerone.com.au.
- Skills, diplomas, experience, personality
- Age, qualifications, present job
- I am a ... with more than 10 years of experience in ...
- I am a recent graduate of the ... University and I have a significant background in ...
- I graduated from the University of Western Australia in 2019 with a degree in ...
- At present, I am employed as a ... by the company ...
- As you can see from my CV, I am a ... with 10 years of experience.
- I had a one-year internship/apprenticeship with ... and the following 3 years ...
- For the past two years I have worked as ... / I was responsible for ...
- Skills and personal qualities
- I consider myself to be reliable, hard-working and enthusiastic.
- I am used to working at a fast pace to meet deadlines.
- Why are you interested? Motivation, interview, references
- I would like to apply my skills in your company.
- I believe the position you offer will give me the opportunity to ...
- If you find my skills and experience suitable, please contact me to schedule an interview.
- I feel that my experience in sales makes me well suited for this position.
- I consider myself a most suitable applicant for the job.
- I have enclosed my references and resume.
- I hope you will consider my application.
- I would be happy to send you references from my previous employers if you require them.
Formal ending, name, signature
- I would appreciate a reply at your earliest convenience.
- I look forward to meeting you to discuss the possibility of employment.
- Thank you for your time and consideration!
- Yours sincerely, ... (you know the name of person you are writing to)
- Yours faithfully, ... (you don't know the name!)